Since the dawn of 2021, Nigeria has lost some of its finest talents in the movie industry. From Rachel Oniga, Prince Ifeanyi Dike, Victor Olaotan to Sadiq Daba; Nigerians have watched, helplessly, how some of their favourite entertainers pass on one after the other.

On Monday, death struck again, and this time around, it was Babatunde Omidina, the comic Yoruba actor better known as Baba Suwe.

The ace actor passed away at 63 after a long battle with an undisclosed illness.

Witty and energetic, Baba Suwe was a delight to watch on the screen during his heyday.

BIRTH AND EARLY DAYS OF A ‘SPECIAL CHILD’

Baba Suwe was born on August 22, 1958, at Inabere street, Lagos Island. He hailed from Ikorodu LGA in Lagos state.

The only child of his parents, he was a boy with big ambition, largely inspired by the fame and heroics of Michael Jackson, the late iconic US pop star.

“Then (while growing up) I wanted to be like Michael Jackson who was known all over the world but now I know better,” had said in a 2014 interview.

Baba Suwe dead

His childhood could be likened to that of a nomad as he constantly shuttled between Lagos and Osun for his primary and secondary education.

The film star started his education at Jamaitul Islamial primary school in Inabere and at some point left for Osogbo in Osun state, where he attended children boarding school.

He thereafter returned to Lagos for his secondary education at Adekanbi Commercial High School. However, it wasn’t long before he ditched the school again for Ifeoluwa Grammar School in Osogbo.

Although he had big dreams, he saw no need to pursue education like his peers at the time — a development that made him drop out of school eventually.

In an interview with Vanguard, Baba Suwe described himself as a “special specie created by God” but lamented that he never took education seriously as a teenager.

“I am a special specie created by God. I hail from Igbgogbo, Ikorodu, Lagos State but born and bred on the Island. My father was an average Nigerian who was into trading of eye-glasses and my mother was a trader,” he had said.

“I am the only child between my parents. My father had three wives. I dropped out of secondary school when I was in form four. Growing up for me was tough but fun. I enjoyed every bit of it because I was quite mischievous.

“As a teenager, I didn’t really know the importance of education but thank God, I am managing well. I am also a different person from what you see on the screen, a quiet and easy-going person.”

MOVIE CAREER AND RISE TO STARDOM

For Baba Suwe, acting was more than a passion, it was everything. According to him, his journey as an actor started after he dropped out of secondary school.

owing up as a budding actor, he embodied creativity, hard work, and determination. But unlike others with similar ambitions, he was not lucky to get formal acting training.He only relied on experiences garnered from watching stage plays.